Top 5 Design Colleges in India
Designing is an integral part of life. Design courses now include aspects like product designing, apparel (fashion designing), architectural designing, interior designing, web designing, to name a few. A number of colleges have come up which offer a variety of these courses. Students can pursue these courses by distance as well as classroom education mode. It is the responsibility of the students and their guardiansto verify about the colleges through reliable sources before seeking admission. Following are some of the points a student should inquire about before taking admission in an institute:
- Details about the course – It is important to know the structure of the course, its duration, subjects included, the degree offered and fee structure for the particular course.
- Availability of a prescribed number of faculties – One of the major problems faced by the colleges is the insufficient number of teaching faculties. A low teacher to student ratio will lead to non-satisfactory quality of teaching. The faculty should be skilled and knowledgeable in their subject.
- Financial aid – Many institutes offer financial aids in the form of scholarships to students with good academic performance. This helps the students to incur their additional expenses.
- Accreditation of the college – The student must make sure that the college in which they seek to pursue further studies is accredited to a national level or international level education board.
- Facilities – The institute must have good infrastructure and basic facilities such as Transport, Medical support for the students.
India now has some of the pioneer institutes offering a wide number of courses in the field of designing too. Some of these admit students qualifying National Level Entrance Examinations while some others have their private Entrance Examinations to assess the student’s skills before offering them admission.
Mentioned below is the list of top design colleges in India:
- National Institute of Design
National Institute of Design or NID is a favourite amongst all design aspirants in India. It is an autonomous institute recognised by the Government of India. The institute offers graduate – Bachelor of Design (B.Des) and postgraduate – Master of Design (M.Des) degree in various fields like Animation film design, Graphic design, Textile Design, to name a few.
Admissions to these courses are done through a national level design aptitude test NID DAT conducted by the institute in the month of Dec-Jan every year. Notification for the exam is released on the official website of the institute. NID has its campuses in Ahmedabad, Jorhat, Kurukshetra, Vijaywada and Bhopal.
- National Institute of Fashion Technology
Apioneer institute in the field of fashion designing, NIFT was found in 1986 and since then has created some of the finest and topmost fashion designers of the country. Its name is at the peak of all the lists of top fashion design colleges in India. Courses offered are in the streams of Fashion designing, leather designing, design management etc.
- IDC, IIT Bombay
Industrial Design Centre (IDC) was started in IIT Bombay in the year 1969 and offers graduate and postgraduate courses in animation design, industrial design and visual communication amongst a few others. The admissions are done based on the qualifying marks for a national level exam UCEED for graduate courses and CEED for postgraduate courses. The entrance tests are held once in a year,and notification for the same can be found on the official website from October every year.
- Pearl Academy
Set up in the year 1993, the organisationwas first known by the name Pearl Academy of Fashion. Ranked among the top fashion design colleges in India, Pearl Academy offers diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate courses in fashion and business. The academy takes into consideration scores of the NID DAT and CEED exams for the candidates seeking admission into the academy.
Headed by the Maharashtra Academy of Engineering and Educational Research (MAEER), MIT Institute of Design has collaborations with many international design colleges. This enables the students to take part in the Student Exchange Programme offered by the Institute.MIT has courses like Industry design, fashion design, animation design like courses to offer to the aspiring candidates.